A reader contacted us asking what to do because QuickBooks was displaying a couple of different payroll errors after the last payroll update download. From time to time a payroll update may not completely install successfully due to problems with the Payroll installation, configuration or even a communications error.
In this case, when the error message offered the option to display more information, the Errors reported were PS033 and PS036.
Here are the steps you can take to resolve both of these errors in one repair sequence:
1) Back-up your QuickBooks Company file.
2) Close QuickBooks
3) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 20nn\Components\Payroll (where “20nn” is the QuickBooks version you are using)
4) Rename the CPS folder to CPSOLD
5) Re-open QuickBooks
6) From the Employees menu, select My Payroll Service
Payroll Account Information
7) Choose Account/Billing Information (or Account Info/Preferences) and then close it. QuickBooks may display a ‘communicating with host’ message.
8) Close QuickBooks
9) Reboot your computer
10) Open QuickBooks and from the Employees menu, select Get Payroll Updates
Payroll Get Updates
11) After the Download, Close QuickBooks
12) Re-open QuickBooks (you may observe a message indicating that QuickBooks has recently installed a payroll update.)
If this does not resolve the problem contact Payroll Support for additional instructions.