Intuit has begun the release of Maintenance Update R4 for the QuickBooks Point-of-Sale Desktop V12 product. As you may remember they first released R3 to manual update a few weeks ago and then almost immediately withdrew that release due to a application bug.
According to Intuit, the newly released R4 has all of the fixes that were included in R3 without the application errors. Anyone who already installed R3 can proceed to installation of R4 immediately to resolve the errors associated with R3. Users on R1 (the initial release) of QB-POS (D) V12 may wish to download and update to R4, you do NOT need to update to R3 prior to installing R4.
As with the R3 update, which reported on, the R4 update includes a major upgrade to the database engine used by QuickBooks Point-of-sale. As a result of this major upgrade the time required to update both the application and your QBPOS data can be extensive.
At present the R4 patch is only available for 'manual update', it has not been pushed out for 'automatic update'. You can find both the R4 update and the complete 'release notes' at:
Here are just a few of the changes and improvements in addition to the database engine:
- A link to apply for an Intuit Payments Account is now available on the Payments tab of the Setup Interview for customers that are not using Intuit Payments to process credit and debit cards
- Financial Exchange with QuickBooks will not throw error while syncing Credit and Debit card transactions, if the Payments login is not done in QuickBooks
- Non-taxable sales can now be created in GoPayment and synced with Point of Sale without creating negative sales tax in Sales Tax preferences in Point of Sale
- In progress state of Physical Inventory will now be captured in CTRL+Tab for Multi-Store setup
- Printed receipts will now appear in the same sorted order as in the user interface
- Open Sales Order list will now display open Sales Orders instead of all Sales Orders
- The total amount due and the total quantity will now show the correct values on ‘Make a Sale’ screen
- A Warning will now appear advising that the current data will be overridden when restoring a file from a backup
Here's a comment from our resident QB-POS Guru - Will English:
“We recently posted an article regarding R3, right after the web release, bugs were found and the update was pulled. Intuit’s Product Development worked tirelessly, fixed the problems and have now released the R4 patch for web download. The patch will be pushed out via the normal update process shortly and please take note of the database update discussed in our article.
We have asked you to prepare your customers for the possibility of an update lasting several minutes up to 30 minutes or more. We are notifying all of our clients and suggest you do the same to help manage the process for them and avoid a clerk starting the update process a few minutes before opening and not having the ability to take a sale until the process is complete.”