QB POS Product
Many users of QuickBooks Point-of-sale 2013 have reported an error subsequent to installation of the R5 maintenance update.
Release 5 of QB Point-of-sale may cause “Permission Errors”
Many users of QuickBooks Point-of-sale 2013 have reported an error subsequent to installation of the R5 maintenance update. Error 121 (Permission denied) is associated with inability to install the update. Users should attempt to install the update only under the Sysadmin username and password; however, in some cases the update still will not install. Intuit has a ‘manual patch’ to resolve this problem, but it must be installed in conjunction with other steps.
For QB-POS Server and/or QB-POS Client-workstations using the Windows-7 system:
In order to work around the error and install the ‘manual patch’, you must first perform a ‘windows repair’ of your QB Point of Sale software. You should complete the repair on the server prior to repairing client workstations. You may need access to your QB Point-of-sale software.
- Click the Windows Start button and then select Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Features.
- Select your version of Point of Sale and click Repair. A security warning may appear, if it does, click Yes.
- After Windows is done configuring QB Point-of-sale, the repair is complete.
- Close the control panel.
- Download the ‘WebQBPOSPatch_2013R5 (33.8MB)’ manual update from the website: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/ProductUpdates.aspx?lid=UpdateDownloads(SUB%20HDR)
- Locate the downloaded update file, and double-click it.
- In the InstallShield window, click Update, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
- Open QB Point-of-sale, and log-in, then check the current program release:
- Select the Help menu and select About QB POS to open the Product Information window.
- The first line in this window displays QuickBooks Point of Sale 2013 R5. (This means you have successfully installed the release.)
- Click OK to close the window.
If you are only having problems installing the update on your client workstations follow these instructions for a Windows 7 system:
- On your client workstation, right-click the Windows Start button and choose Open Windows Explorer .
- Click Organize and select Folder and Search Options.
- Click the View tab and select the option to Show hidden files and folders.
- Click Yes to the warning and then click OK.
- Navigate in the left window to the location C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0\Ini
- Right-click the WSActivity.xml file and choose Delete. Click Yes to confirm.
- Reopen Point of Sale on your client workstation and attempt to install the update again.
- If this doesn’t work follow the steps for QB-POS Server and/or QB-POS Client-workstations using the Windows-7 system (above).