A reader has sent an email asking "which browser works best with QuickBooks Online?" It's a common question we see here at Insightful Accountant.
Not all browsers are the same, they have differences that in some cases maximize performance of a specific web-based application. The on-line version of QuickBooks is able to tell which browser version you are using and configures itself accordingly. At present Intuit specifies that the following browsers are compatible with QuickBooks Online:
- Google Chrome (41, or later)
- Firefox (36, or later)
- Internet Explorer 10 (or later)
- Safari 6.2 (or later)
Most users report that they have fewer problems and better performance with Google Chrome, although I must admit that in my own testing, I have always used Firefox and rarely do I experience issues. I recommend that you select your browser for using QuickBooks Online and ALWAYS stick to it. Don't try to use Chrome one time, and IE10 the next time.
In order to insure the best performance you should:
1. Keep your browser up-to-date. Updates fix a variety of issues including security concerns.
2. Update related 3rd party plugins and extensions such as Java and Flash that are used to display certain types of information in the application. Be sure to follow the instructions for updating these 3rd party products.
3. Close other programs that you are not using, or planning to use, in conjunction with your on-line session. The more programs you have running, the slower your browsing experience will be.
4. Disable browser plugins and extensions that are not needed. In the same way that other programs consume computer resources, browser plugins and extensions consume browser allocated resources. Be certain to follow the instructions specific to your browser and the various plugins and extensions when disabling them.
5. Use the QuickBooks App for Windows. Provides quick access to QuickBooks Online straight from your Windows desktop. Allows you to use multiple windows, keyboard shortcuts and menus to speed through common tasks and workflows. Also allows you to remain signed-into QuickBooks Online without having to retype your password. (Requires Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8x, or Windows 10. High-speed internet connection.) Get the App here.
Helpful hint: Browsers hold-on to information that can cause issues if it goes bad. Clearing out the cache and cookies on your computer can get rid of multiple problems with old or even corrupt information in your browser. Follow the appropriate instructions to clear the cache/cookies based upon your operating system and browser. Once these have been cleared, close your browser complete and then reopen it.