1 of 8
What If - QuickBooks Point-of-Sale
2 of 8
Item Picture Preference
3 of 8
Launch Import Wizard
4 of 8
5 of 8
6 of 8
Match Pictures to QBPOS Nomenclature
7 of 8
Select Default or Alternate Item Pictures
8 of 8
Determine Match - MisMatch Import Alternatives
Someone writes in saying. “I was using an older version of QuickBooks Point-of-sale, I recently upgraded to the latest version and all of my data converted just fine. But I see that I have the option to now include ‘pictures’ in my Inventory Items, is there any way I can quickly add them to the file rather than having to attach them to each Item one at a time?”
You can import pictures using the QuickBooks Point-of-sale Data Import Wizard which is designed to minimize the time-consuming task of manually entering large amounts of data into Point-of-sale.
The wizard takes customer, vendor, or item information (including pictures for QuickBooks 2013) entered into a Microsoft® Excel® spreadsheet, a comma-delimited text file or a directory of item pictures, and transfers this information into the corresponding data fields in Point of Sale.
The wizard can be used to import data:
- You enter into a pre-defined Excel import template in Point-of-sale
- You have data in an existing Excel spreadsheet or comma-delimited text file
- You have exported from another Point-of-sale software
- Inventory Item pictures (QuickBooks 2013 and newer)
- Provided by vendors, such as catalog information for new inventory items or updates to existing items
To Import Inventory Item Pictures using the Data Import Wizard:
1. Insure that you have turned on the preference to “associated pictures with inventory item”. This preference is found under the Inventory ‘company’ preferences. (Figure 2)
2. Always Back-up your company data file before importing.
3. From the FIle menu, select UTILITIES _ IMPORT. (Figure 3) The Data Import Wizard launches.
4. Select the option to “Add new data” (Figure 4)
5. When the ‘type of data’ for import window opens, choose the option for Item Pictures (Figure 5)
6. Match the pictures for import to your QuickBooks Point-of-sale Inventory Items based upon one of the available fields: Item Name_Attribute_Size, Item Name, UPC, Alternate Lookup/ALU, Item Number. Note: your pictures must be assigned one of these nomenclatures to match for import. (Figure 6)
7. You have the option to import ‘default item pictures’, ‘alternate item pictures’, and both default’ and ‘item’ pictures. (Figure 7)
(a) If you select the option to import both, your picture file names must be appended with _def or _1 to be assigned as the default pictures.
(b) Your picture file names must be appended with _alt or _2 to be assigned as the alternate pictures.
8. During import, if an item already has a picture assigned, QuickBooks Point-of-sale can update the item depending on the option you make regarding how you want POS to proceed during the import process. Select the “prompt me and let me decide” option to give you the confidence level you need if you are unsure what to do on a global basis. (Figure 8)
9. Point-of-sale will review your directory of pictures, and advise you as to the number of pictures for import and any conflicts found. When you are ready,
10. Start the import process. Upon conclusion Point-of-sale will report the number of pictures imported and any pictures not imported in the import log.