Maintenance Release Update
Be aware that Intuit recently made QuickBooks 2015 Maintenance Release 4 available for manual download, however, automatic updates appear to now be being pushing-out this week. There are a lot of bug fixes in this update what were reported after the initial public release.
If you want to allow 'auto updates' to download, you should take time to review the changes in this release prior to updating. As always I suggest that you auto-update your server for download with the auto-update feature turned off individual workstations. If you decide you want to update, you can then 'share' the update from the server to your client workstations by configuring that update setting within the application.
Here are the changes as Intuit has reported them for this release:
- QuickBooks will no longer close unexpectedly while trying to print, delete, or email an invoice without saving it first.
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close unexpectedly after opening a report from the Insights page and then closing the program.
Enterprise: Advanced Inventory
- Assembly Shortage reports will now include modified (saved or unsaved) Assemblies.
- Duplicate serial number warning will now work if an Invoice is created from an Estimate.
Enterprise: Advanced Pricing
- Price rule prices will no longer revert to the base price when editing a custom field on a previously saved Sales Order or Invoice.
- Removed "Mail through QuickBooks" as an option for sending emails with QuickBooks.
- Increased the email template character limit from 2049 to 32000.
- Fixed an issue that caused the report Item Estimates vs Actuals to not export to Excel properly if one or more columns were removed from the report prior to exporting.
- Added a one-time message to warn users about sorting columns on transactions. (Enterprise Only)
- Added three new graphs: Net Profit Margin, Business Growth, and Previous Year Expense Comparison.
- Added "Save as PDF" functionality to the Insights page.
- Fixed an issue that caused the window to not fully display if re-sized while scroll bar was active.
- QuickBooks installer will now open the necessary Windows firewall ports needed to avoid potential issues opening a company file.
- Added a "Manage Your Account" button to the My Company window for easier access to manage things like your Payment Methods and Order History.
- Fixed an issue that caused logo images on forms to appear blurry after saving as PDF.
QuickBooks Merchant Services
- Company files with Multi-currency enabled and set to US Dollar currency, can now process credit card transactions.
- Merged the QuickBooks Maintenance Alerts into the Reminders window.
- Removed blue shading from summary reports below the second level of sub accounts for better readability.
- Searching for columns in the Modify Report window now supports partial name searches.
- Added the ability to see which user created/modified a comment.
- Added a Created By column to the Commented Reports window to identify the user who created the report.
- Querying custom fields using DataExtDefQuery will now return the list of fields sorted by Name.
- QuickBooks will no longer close unexpectedly while performing an Advanced Find using the "Name E-mail" filter.
- Streamlined the data file creation process to make it more efficient.
- Added ability to use copy/paste/undo keyboard shortcuts in the Search field on transactions. (Enterprise Only)
- Fixed an issue that caused the error "Verify Custom Template list. Duplicate name encountered".
- Fixed an issue that caused the error "Verify Customer Message list. Duplicate name encountered.".
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close unexpectedly while exporting a Budget to IIF (File > Utilities > Export > Lists to IIF files and select Budgets).
Should you update?
Users always want to know if they should update right-a-way, or should they wait. I always recommend the same thing, if you are experiencing issues with one of the above areas on a regular basis and it is impacting your operation, then consider updating now (but always make a complete backup of your data file prior to update in case you experience post-update problems and need to roll-back.)
If you are not having problems with the current release, consider waiting a few weeks to give this update time in the market to identify if there are any major issues associated with the new release.
Best of luck either way you go.