QB for Mac
Users of QuickBooks for Mac 2013 and 2014 have reported an Error when attempting to create a backup. The error, Error: QuickBooks could not create a disk image, while attempting to create a backup, prevents QuickBooks for Mac from creating a backup of the Company-file.
Beginning with QuickBooks for Mac 2013, QuickBooks uses the built-in Disk Utility of the Apple Operating System to create an image of the QuickBooks Company-file for backup purposes. If something prevents QuickBooks from creating this DMG (image) file, you are unable to produce a backup copy.
Intuit is aware of this problem and is currently working to determine if the cause is associated with the Apple Operating System, the QuickBooks for Mac application, or in some cases a form of data damage that maybe associated with the QuickBooks for Mac Company (data) file.
Intuit recommends that QuickBooks for Mac (2013 and 2014) users who experience this error perform steps to Verify and/or Rebuild their Data. In order to accomplish this:
1. Go to File >> Utilities >> Verify Data
- If the Verify utility detects a problem and returns an error review the QuickBooks.log file
- Go to Hard drive >> Users >> Library >> Logs >> QuickBooks.log
- If the QuickBooks.log file reflects and error, you may research the error on the QuickBooks Technical Support website
- You may need to repair the error ‘manually’ prior to running the Rebuild Utility
2. Run the Rebuild Data utility: File >> Utilities >> Rebuild Data
- If the Rebuild Data utility completes, run the Verify Utility again to make certain that there are no other issues
- If either the Rebuild Data or subsequent Verify Data utilities fail, review the QuickBooks.log file again for additional errors.
- Repeat these steps until the subsequent Verify Data utility shows no problems
- If you are unable to resolve the Verify Data issues, you may need to contact Intuit Technical Support Data Services for assistance.
3. Once you are able to successfully Verify your data, attempt the Backup again; if the Backup is successful, your problem(s) are resolved.
- If you are still unable to backup, contact Intuit Technical Support for assistance as the problem is most likely associated with causes other than your Company (data) file.
Best of luck,