1. Lightly grease two 1.2L pudding moulds.
2. Kneed 170g of suet into 225g of plain sifted flour; then add the other dry ingredients:
- 225g breadcrumbs
- 225g brown sugar
3. Now add the fruit:
- 450g currants
- 450g sultanas
- 450g raisins
- 1-large apple (peeled, cored and diced)
- Zest of 1 lemon
4. Beat 6 large eggs and add them to the dry mixture, stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
5. Gradually add 4 to 6 tablespoons of milk using just enough milk to make a nice thick mixture.
6. Divide the mixture equally between the prepared pudding moulds.
7. Cover with a layer of greaseproof paper, with a fold in the middle allowing for rising, and then wrap in muslin and secure tightly with kitchen string.
8. Stand the puddings on a tray set in a large pan, and fill up to half their depth in boiling water.
9. Boil the puddings for about 7 hours, topping up the water regularly.
10 Remove from the water, cool then change to fresh paper and muslin, and store in the fridge until Christmas day.